Southern style Eggs Benedict

Hey y'all

So the title says Southern Style Eggs Benedict. I wanted something a bit different for brunch today. I've never really made "brunch" before, but today felt like a good day to try since Z and I slept late. So thoughts started swirling in my mind. I also decided to venture into the strange world of poached eggs.

                               Faux Eggs Benedict

Let me just start by saying I have never eaten nor cooked a poached egg before. I saw a pair of silicone egg poachers in one of my review groups. They were free so I decided to give them a try.

This is what the seller says about them:




• High quality food grade silicone materials, Heat Resistant.- BPA free and FDA approved silicone is safe for any kind of food
• Set of 2 blue flexible silicone pods for poaching eggs, baking and molding
• Safe to use in ovens, microwave ovens, dishwasher and freezer
• It holds the egg in boiling water, preparing perfectly shaped & poached eggs,Cool quickly and easy to wash
• Egg 100% won't stick to silicone egg poacher


HOW TO USE 

1.Boiling water in a pan 
2.Slightly grease inside the poacher with oil (olive oil, butter or coconut oil) to make the poached egg slide out easily 
3.Gently crack egg and pour it into the poacher 
4.Place the poacher on the surface of the boiling water. Caution: Be aware of the boiling water 
5.Cover the sauce pan for 4 - 6 minutes to get your egg poached. Timing depends on how hard you want your egg poached 
6.Remove the poacher from the boiling water using tongs or a spatula 
7.Slide and flip the poacher inside out and your poached egg easily come out - there you have it 

Now here is my take on them:

These are a great idea for poached eggs. They are an even greater idea for a poached egg newbie. Now unfortunately I was one of those people who only glances at instructions so I had some serious user error. These instructions are very important to follow. It is a must to butter or oil the poacher. I would highly suggest coconut oil or butter. I found a liquid oil is not really effective. I also found out not oiling them keeps the from being nonstick. I'm also pretty sure, by pretty sure I mean definitely sure, that covering the pot is mandatory. If you just place the poacher in the boiling water you will end up with and over cooked egg or completely solid yolk before all the egg white is cooked. Now to actually speak about my experience with these poachers aside from the obvious user error. These little cups work great. They sit up in the water and do not turnover or lean. I put my egg in the poacher and then pinch the corners to move it to the pot. I then let it boil and use tongs to remove it from the pot. I'm excited to try again but this time following the instructions.




Now onto what we are really here for.... the recipe:

Southern Style Eggs Benedict 
Makes 2
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
2 Eggs
2oz Maple Breakfast Sausage
1/4 c Sweet Onion
2 cloves Garlic
1/4 c Bell Pepper
1/2 c Roasted Butternut Squash
2 slices Potato Bread
1/4 c Country Gravy, prepared
1 TBSP Vegetable Oil (optional)

Instructions:
Start a pot of boiling water. 

Finely dice onions, bell peppers, garlic, and roasted butternut squash. 

Crumble and brown 2oz   of maple breakfast sausage. 

Drain and set aside. Do not discard rendered fat. 

Oil poacher cups and gently crack one egg into each cup. 

Place cups filled with eggs into boiling water. 

Turn down to just barely boiling and simmer covered. 

Place bread into toaster. 

Add onions and garlic to the hot pan from the sausage. Add a bit of oil if needed. 

Sauté until translucent. 

Add bell peppers to onion and garlic mixture. 

Cook until softened. 

Add roasted butternut squash and sausage to the onions, garlic, and bell pepper.

Cook for approximately 2-3 minutes. 

Remove bread from toaster. 
Cut out 2in   rings from toast. 

By now your eggs should be done. Remove from pot.

Place half of your sausage mixture on top of each toast round. 

Transfer eggs from poacher cups onto sausage mixture. 

Cover each portion with half of your warm, prepared country gravy. 

Enjoy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment